Saturday, December 24, 2005

Christmas Thoughts

I just finished watching "Christmas Eve on Sesame Street," an annual tradition ever since mom found it on VHS and gave it to me.
I think it would do a lot of people a world of good to sit down and watch it. I was astounded by the unapologetic displays of good character on the movie. People SACRIFICE to give each other what they need- Ernie gives away his prized rubber duckie to buy Bert a holder for his paperclip collection, yet Bert has given away his paperclip collection to buy Ernie a holder for rubber duckie. Irony. BUT- they both sacrificed their greatest posession to give the other what they needed.

So be different this year. I can't count how many times I was cut off in traffic today. It's one reason why I don't like this place anymore. Home went away, and a city full of selfish people moved in.

God did that- He sacrificed His greatest posession to give the world what it needed- His Son.
Further, I observed that God and Santa Claus did have something in common. I watched Big Bird camp out on the roof so that he could see Santa. He sat and sat, yet Santa didn't come. Then, Bird fell asleep, and Santa came and went.
Jesus happened kinda like that. The entire culture had been waiting for centuries for Him to arrive. Yet when He came, He caught them sleeping. They didn't see Him come, and they didn't see Him go.

To close, I will post part of a song. It's "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas..." I'll just put up the part of the song that I really identify with:

Through the years
We all will be together,
If the Fates allow.
Hang a shining star upon the highest bough.
And have yourself a merry little Christmas now.

I will miss many people. This is the last Christmas I'll have while in college. I'll miss all of my Penn2 buddies. Nevermore will I bring them home and drop them off at the airport- 5 of them this year. Nevermore can I pick them up in January... all of them dreading the semester, but me secretly glad to see them back.
I'll also miss working at North Lake every Christmas- this makes four years in a row!! Let's count... 25 or so people that I look forward to seeing every Christmastime in the offices.

But God's got a plan, and I know that future Christmases will be great, too. And maybe I can get together with old friends around the holidays.

I have a lot more thoughts on this, but not for now.

3 Comments:

Blogger Radar said...

Randy, i appreciate the comment you left on my entry. thanks for being unafraid to disagree. it's much better than silence or a facade (there's much sentiment behind that statement, but i can't go into that for now.) I love how you made humor out of your thinking 'awhiles' about 1248. fill me in on what you think about that. or we could just wait for the future to unveil the truth!
Do i miss Texas? no. too hot. but i miss my very close friends down there.
Your insight on Jesus and Santa was profound. i think you're right on. the parallel between Christ and Santa is one i've been aware of for awhile, but in only the sense that Santa gave gifts of earth as Jesus gave men the gift of heaven. i won't forget your insight, now.
my entry on the 26th did kindle some feedback from the individual i meant it for. perhaps if you have time i may talk through my situation with you and get your advice.
new year's eve: i don't know yet.
have a good day!

7:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sesame street???? What are you? 5?

7:45 AM  
Blogger Elmo said...

You wouldn't understand, would you?

"Hola, me llamo 'Anonymous' y no tengo juevos..."

10:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home