Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Men and Women

So I was reading this news story:
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/04/19/tram.stuck/index.html

About a tram in New York that became stuck after losing electricity, blah blah.
They were stuck for eleven hours. I can't even imagine- I am useless on a road trip for more than about four hours (except that I made it all the way from Fountain Inn, SC to Birmingham without stopping- that was QUITE an accomplishment). I can't imagine the kind of potty dance I would be doing after eleven hours!
ANYHOW, the part of the story I want to focus on is young Dax Maier and his babysitter, Nadia Mattis.

I think it's a perfect example of how men are, how we're BORN to be, and what we should strive for and return to.

The kid is twelve, stuck in a tram, and yet it is HE who gives comfort to the babysitter! He says things like,
"I just told myself, 'Don't look down,'"
"I'm glad I came out fine."
"Don't freak out, we're going to get down safe and we're going to get home, no matter how long it takes."

That's impressive. But here's where I was really struck:
"The boy said the only time he was afraid was when he was climbing from the tram into the rescue gondola:

"I was just a little scared because, one, what if I miss it; two, what if I slip, I might fall into the river," Dax said. "And so I just kept on looking up and got directions, and then next thing you know I was on the gondola and they brought us down."


That is SUCH a guy way to work through things. Methodical, logical... weigh the risks, decide the best course of action, and do it- without looking down.


Different people (men included) perform differently in different situations.
For example, I don't think the way this boy did when I am in a situation involving heights. I clam up, tense up, and become less than... useful.

However, I have TWICE had the thrill of entering a burning building to search for survivors, and this IS the same kind of mental process I use.
First, assess the risks: am I going to be burned, am I going to have something burning fall on me, or am I going to fall through a burnt floor?
Second, decide the best course of action: I suspect elderly and children are in here; this risk must be taken.
Third, go in, find people, leave quickly- WIHTOUT SECOND GUESSING MYSELF.

In life, I have much trouble when I second-guess myself. But when we're really counted on, we find a way to block out our own lack of confidence.



Did I end up saving any lives? Who knows. When the museum was on fire, everyone had escaped before any serious danger came up. When that house was on fire, though, I think that man was asleep when I barged in. So maybe me and my buddy saved his life.


Interesting thoughts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home