On Toys and Hobbies
So a motorcycle just roared by. Not a cruiser, mind you, but a ninja sort of thing, surely reaching 12000 RPM three times between the driveway and the first stop sign.
"Annoying," I thought. "As usual."
And I thought of how much fun he, the rider, must've been having. How different and special he felt, because he has a bike and I don't. Most of us don't. So he must feel particularly powerful.
But then I realized that this is part of the reason I don't want a bike. Oh, some people do, and I like them alright. But I can't say that I want one.
Because it's too common.
Which, I know, is an unexpected flip-flop from what I was saying above- that he is unique and stuff.
But a lot of people have motorcycles of some sort. Some even have tricycles.
And when I want a hobby that is going to cost me any money, I want something that's mine. Something that's special to me.
I don't want some crummy crotch-rocket, so that I can be one of a kind, just like all the other one-of-a-kind crotch rocket riders.
I want something special.
It doesn't have to be expensive or fancy. Just mine.
This is part of the reason that I never liked to take anyone across the street and up the hill from the ranch this summer. Because it was mine. It was my special spot, and the only creatures I had to share it with were moose, and large, funny-colored mushrooms.
"Annoying," I thought. "As usual."
And I thought of how much fun he, the rider, must've been having. How different and special he felt, because he has a bike and I don't. Most of us don't. So he must feel particularly powerful.
But then I realized that this is part of the reason I don't want a bike. Oh, some people do, and I like them alright. But I can't say that I want one.
Because it's too common.
Which, I know, is an unexpected flip-flop from what I was saying above- that he is unique and stuff.
But a lot of people have motorcycles of some sort. Some even have tricycles.
And when I want a hobby that is going to cost me any money, I want something that's mine. Something that's special to me.
I don't want some crummy crotch-rocket, so that I can be one of a kind, just like all the other one-of-a-kind crotch rocket riders.
I want something special.
It doesn't have to be expensive or fancy. Just mine.
This is part of the reason that I never liked to take anyone across the street and up the hill from the ranch this summer. Because it was mine. It was my special spot, and the only creatures I had to share it with were moose, and large, funny-colored mushrooms.


2 Comments:
so I hope I don't stress you out too much....
Jen
it's not just the motorcycle, it's the brotherhood and the comradship associated with it. nothing beats riding with a group of friends in the mountains or to some destination, for no particular reason other than to enjoy the day. but in riding with the group each rider is experiencing different sights that may be interesting to them, while still being a part of the whole. it might not make sense to you, but it is fun!
Post a Comment
<< Home