Friday, January 20, 2006

Thought for Friday

Christianity is like your health- don't stop where you're standing.

By that, I mean... something like this.
Health is an interesting thing. I am surfing a website right now, and it details some things we can do and eat to boost our immune system. I got to the part that said, "Stop smoking," and stopped reading.
"Great," I thought, "I already don't smoke, so clearly I am in the safe zone. My immune system is ahead of many other peoples' systems."

Then I thought, "Wait a minute... Improving health is about moving forward from where you are. It is NOT about saying you're in a good place, and it's now acceptable to be content."

I can't claim that my not smoking is an accomplishment. I never DID smoke. I never wanted to. So I can't boast about NOT smoking. Neither is it okay for me to be content with that 'accomplishment' and not try harder to be healthier. Because I already don't smoke, I must do some of the other things listed.

Christianity is the same way. Often times, we feel content with where we are. "Well, I go to church regularly, I am a minister (though not 'ordained' by men), I go to devos, and I pray a lot. That makes me a good Christian."

NO, Grasshopper. We must move FORWARD, and continually improve.

I asked God for His help today, and He gave it. Then, twenty minutes later, I slammed the door in His face and ran the direction I wanted to go- sin.
Yes, I am forgiven. But no, it's not okay to continue this way.

So, here's to malcontent.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home