WHAAAAAT?
This is an actual quote from my Thermodynamics text, on the subject of reversible processes:
"In daily life, the concepts of Mr. Right and Ms. Right are also idealizations, just like the concept of a reversible process. People who insist on finding Mr. or Ms. Right to settle down are bound to remain Mr. or Ms. Single for the rest of their lives. The possibility of finding the perfect prospective mate is no higher than the possibility of finding a reversible process. Likewise, a person who insists on perfection in friends is bound to have no friends."
Harsh, Drs. Cengel and Boles!
Ladies, I can assure you: I am Mr. Right. Hard to believe, I know. But you've found him. It's me. I'm still working on finding a reversible process. I know, I know, you say "but Randy, that violates both the Kelvin-Planck and the Clausius statements of the second law!!!" And you're right. BUT- if I can find a reversible process, then it is no longer unlikely that I, Randy, am Mr. Right.
I've also got some land near Palmer, Alaska that I would be willing to part with... for the right price...
"In daily life, the concepts of Mr. Right and Ms. Right are also idealizations, just like the concept of a reversible process. People who insist on finding Mr. or Ms. Right to settle down are bound to remain Mr. or Ms. Single for the rest of their lives. The possibility of finding the perfect prospective mate is no higher than the possibility of finding a reversible process. Likewise, a person who insists on perfection in friends is bound to have no friends."
Harsh, Drs. Cengel and Boles!
Ladies, I can assure you: I am Mr. Right. Hard to believe, I know. But you've found him. It's me. I'm still working on finding a reversible process. I know, I know, you say "but Randy, that violates both the Kelvin-Planck and the Clausius statements of the second law!!!" And you're right. BUT- if I can find a reversible process, then it is no longer unlikely that I, Randy, am Mr. Right.
I've also got some land near Palmer, Alaska that I would be willing to part with... for the right price...


2 Comments:
BACON AND EGGS ARE EDIBLE!!!
i don't agree with your thermo text's drawing a common line between said scientific principle and the abstract human experience of romance. the theory of relativity would be a closer comparison to the Ms. Right ideal.
Post a Comment
<< Home