Weekend Update... with...
Norm MacDonald? Not quite. I am nowhere near that funny. Most of the time, I am not funny at all. But, my motto is 'keep trying, and eventually everyone laughs.' It's worth it. Okay, just deleted a bunch of stuff that explained this, but didn't necessarily need to be shared.
Before I make an all-new blog, I wanted to tell Jacki and Benjamin that I passed on their birthday wished to my dad, and he says thank you.
Also, thank you Keith for the comment and the new word. WHERE do you get these? I don't believe them.
Whew- what a weekend.
What parts of it do I want to blog about, though? Not sure.
Let's see... Trip home.
Junior took me to the depot at 9:15 Saturday morning. I checked in, and was told that we'd have an on-time departure. "Terrific," I thought, "since the last five days, this train has averaged 3 hours late."
Alas, it was not to be. The train was delayed in Marshall, because of freight trains on the tracks. Our 10:20a train left at 11:30.
The train ride was relatively enjoyable. I hadn't even been on the train in this country, so I was curious to see how it compared to the Italian train system, which is a model of modern usefulness.
My seat was comfortable. The train was reasonably clean- I'd give it a B-. The restrooms were mediocre. Not horrible, but also not a place I'd chose to spend any more time than was absolutely necessary.
Lunch was interesting. I sat across the table from a retired couple, originally from Puerto Rico. We talked for about an hour. We covered lots of topics, including trains, planes, engineering, schools, Texas, home schooling, cruise ships, Canton's first Monday, Boeing, LeTourneau, Eastman Kodak, and lots of other things. It was fun.
The train got into Dallas around 4pm, instead of 1:20. So I caught the later Trinity to Irving.
Got home and did laundry.
The next morning, dad and I went to the fair. Long story short, the fair was fun (except that it was way cold, and WAY windy). I got to test drive two new Chevy cars, which is something new at the fair. We did the car show, and also some other stuff. We would have done MORE other stuff, except it was way cold, and dad's foot has been bothering him.
We missed the bus to come home, because we were standing on the wrong side of the street. So we caught a different one. We ended up freezing across the street from Parkland hospital. In the ghetto. We declined the offer to buy a blunt. No joke, we had no fewer than three encounters with weed on Saturday. The more memorable one was a girl at the transit center who was SMOKING A JOINT right next to me! She was way messed up. And she looked about 20. Shame. I didn't judge her, I don't think, I just felt bad. Yet, at the same time, surprisingly uncompassionate. Dad said something about her, and I was surprised to hear my reply, "Yep. Well, people make their own decisions in life."
So we finally got home in time to go to El Fenix for Mexican food. My family's favorite. Good stuff. Wow- THAT thought just gave me ANOTHER flashback.
So we were gonna visit my grandparents on Monday. But then Bob called Sunday night and told mom that they needed her to take Jane to the blood lab Monday morning. So, instead of visiting, we sat in the waiting room. Which is fine, it went really well, very quickly. It was a good experience- much better than I ever had, that's for sure! Then we went back to my grandparent's place and had a big lunch. Best food I've had in a while. Why can't SAGA be like Trinity Terrace? I guess because I don't pay $3000 a month to eat there.
So I got home in time to have nice long conversations with mom yesterday. We talked mostly about my sister and her boyfriend... ugh. I tried not to rant and rave like I sometimes do. And I think we did really well. Mom was surprised at how high my standards were, I think... and I don't know if she realized that the rules I apply to my sister I ALSO apply to myself.
Bottom line is, no, it's not okay to 'make out' with your boyfriend. And no, no one believes (no matter how strongly YOU believe) that you're gonna marry him. "Yes, but WE are different." NO. YOU'RE NOT. Everyone thinks they are. But they're not. I thought I was. But I wasn't.
So then it was time to take me back to the train station. I got on the Trinity to Dallas. Then (long long long long story short) I got to the Amtrak counter and my train was going to be late. Then it was going to be later. Then, there was no guarantee that I would get to Longview at all.
So I got BACK on the Trinity and rode home to Irving. Dad and Sam and I piled in the van, and drove to Terrell, where Mark met us and picked me up. I didn't want to do it that way, it seemed kinda... juvenile. But, that's pride talking. And, I certainly understood the need for dad to NOT be out driving until 11pm. So it's cool.
And today, Mark took me flying, I did no homework, and I slept for five beautiful hours.
That's the story of my fall break.
Quote, regarding the picking of one's nose: "Hey, man, God gave us fingers for a reason, right?"
--Aaron Brown
Before I make an all-new blog, I wanted to tell Jacki and Benjamin that I passed on their birthday wished to my dad, and he says thank you.
Also, thank you Keith for the comment and the new word. WHERE do you get these? I don't believe them.
Whew- what a weekend.
What parts of it do I want to blog about, though? Not sure.
Let's see... Trip home.
Junior took me to the depot at 9:15 Saturday morning. I checked in, and was told that we'd have an on-time departure. "Terrific," I thought, "since the last five days, this train has averaged 3 hours late."
Alas, it was not to be. The train was delayed in Marshall, because of freight trains on the tracks. Our 10:20a train left at 11:30.
The train ride was relatively enjoyable. I hadn't even been on the train in this country, so I was curious to see how it compared to the Italian train system, which is a model of modern usefulness.
My seat was comfortable. The train was reasonably clean- I'd give it a B-. The restrooms were mediocre. Not horrible, but also not a place I'd chose to spend any more time than was absolutely necessary.
Lunch was interesting. I sat across the table from a retired couple, originally from Puerto Rico. We talked for about an hour. We covered lots of topics, including trains, planes, engineering, schools, Texas, home schooling, cruise ships, Canton's first Monday, Boeing, LeTourneau, Eastman Kodak, and lots of other things. It was fun.
The train got into Dallas around 4pm, instead of 1:20. So I caught the later Trinity to Irving.
Got home and did laundry.
The next morning, dad and I went to the fair. Long story short, the fair was fun (except that it was way cold, and WAY windy). I got to test drive two new Chevy cars, which is something new at the fair. We did the car show, and also some other stuff. We would have done MORE other stuff, except it was way cold, and dad's foot has been bothering him.
We missed the bus to come home, because we were standing on the wrong side of the street. So we caught a different one. We ended up freezing across the street from Parkland hospital. In the ghetto. We declined the offer to buy a blunt. No joke, we had no fewer than three encounters with weed on Saturday. The more memorable one was a girl at the transit center who was SMOKING A JOINT right next to me! She was way messed up. And she looked about 20. Shame. I didn't judge her, I don't think, I just felt bad. Yet, at the same time, surprisingly uncompassionate. Dad said something about her, and I was surprised to hear my reply, "Yep. Well, people make their own decisions in life."
So we finally got home in time to go to El Fenix for Mexican food. My family's favorite. Good stuff. Wow- THAT thought just gave me ANOTHER flashback.
So we were gonna visit my grandparents on Monday. But then Bob called Sunday night and told mom that they needed her to take Jane to the blood lab Monday morning. So, instead of visiting, we sat in the waiting room. Which is fine, it went really well, very quickly. It was a good experience- much better than I ever had, that's for sure! Then we went back to my grandparent's place and had a big lunch. Best food I've had in a while. Why can't SAGA be like Trinity Terrace? I guess because I don't pay $3000 a month to eat there.
So I got home in time to have nice long conversations with mom yesterday. We talked mostly about my sister and her boyfriend... ugh. I tried not to rant and rave like I sometimes do. And I think we did really well. Mom was surprised at how high my standards were, I think... and I don't know if she realized that the rules I apply to my sister I ALSO apply to myself.
Bottom line is, no, it's not okay to 'make out' with your boyfriend. And no, no one believes (no matter how strongly YOU believe) that you're gonna marry him. "Yes, but WE are different." NO. YOU'RE NOT. Everyone thinks they are. But they're not. I thought I was. But I wasn't.
So then it was time to take me back to the train station. I got on the Trinity to Dallas. Then (long long long long story short) I got to the Amtrak counter and my train was going to be late. Then it was going to be later. Then, there was no guarantee that I would get to Longview at all.
So I got BACK on the Trinity and rode home to Irving. Dad and Sam and I piled in the van, and drove to Terrell, where Mark met us and picked me up. I didn't want to do it that way, it seemed kinda... juvenile. But, that's pride talking. And, I certainly understood the need for dad to NOT be out driving until 11pm. So it's cool.
And today, Mark took me flying, I did no homework, and I slept for five beautiful hours.
That's the story of my fall break.
Quote, regarding the picking of one's nose: "Hey, man, God gave us fingers for a reason, right?"
--Aaron Brown


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home