Okay, here goes
Okay, as promised, here are Sunday thoughts and notes:
1. This one isn’t very well structured yet. But I’ll write out the gist of it.
The world needs prayer like an engine needs oil- lots of it, flowing all the time, and of the correct grade.
We need to pray for people even when they haven’t asked us to. For example, Angela hasn’t given me any requests lately. Does that mean that I don’t need to pray for her? Certainly not.
I don’t have much trouble in this area- at least two of my friends will tell you about my prayer stuff.
I realize that not every person has the blessing (habit?) of easy and frequent prayer. Rest assured, different things come easy for different people.
But please- pray for all of your friends, and do it often. THEY NEED YOU.
2a. Here’s what I was getting at last night.
To protect the friendship from the forthcoming attack, I may have to play nice.
Maybe there won’t be an attack… that’s what I am praying for. Or against, depending on how you look at it. Intercede… that’s me.
To clarify, I am committed to surviving any battle that is coming my way. I had a good conversation with a trusted confidant on Friday. He agrees that doom is on the horizon. But I am going to work hard to prevent it. Pray hard. Try hard. And make sure that any rift is NOT caused by myself.
References
Rom 5:1-5, 1 Cor 13:13, Gal 5:5-6, Eph 4:2-5, 1 Thess 1:3, 5:8, Heb 6:10-12, 1 Pet 1:3-8
First, I don’t remember which of the above references, but Mark Wilson read a verse yesterday, and it really floored me. It said that my faith is more precious to God than pure gold!
Three questions were asked at the beginning of the lesson yesterday.
1. What reputation did you have in high school?
Well, I know, but I won’t write it here. Some wounds are too deep to invite others to jump into them.
2. What reputation did you have in college?
Hmmm…. Several words come to mind.
3. What would you LIKE people to think of you?
I’d like people to recognize that I am something greater than what meets the eye. That I seek the will of God, and do it. That, someday, I am going to conquer something. Something big. And everyone will look and say, “Wow… didn’t know Randy had that in him.” And the Lord will look at me and say, “Well done, my good and faithful servant.”
That’s what I want people to think of me- that, even though I’m not cool, the Lord is going to use me in a mighty way.
Now, notes on Colossians 1.
Verse 1 and 2- it’s the standard Paul greeting.
Verse 3- see the note #1 above- the world needs much prayer. All the time.
Verse 4- Word of mouth is a useful tool- the reputation of the church in Colosse had reached Paul by word of mouth.
It was stated that Hope is the most essential element in life.
And I think that’s true.
Quotes: “If you’re in a barber shop long enough, you’re gonna end up with a haircut.”
I like that one. If you put yourself in certain positions, you’re gonna follow through. This applies to so many different areas in life. Girls. If you go out with a poor choice of girlfriend, you’re just about dooming yourself to make poor choices with her. If you hang out with the wrong group of coworkers (Dynamic Aviation, anyone?) you’re gonna do the wrong things with them.
And no, enough of this mental question about “Maybe I need to expose myself to mistakes, maybe I need to learn some lessons the hard way.”
That’s pure, unadulterated bullcrap with a capital B!!!
The Lord gave us WISDOM so that we wouldn’t do stupid things. You know Wisdom, she’s the lady that’s standing on the roofs in the city calling out your name.
Not saying that you must shield yourself from all chances of messing up. But USE WISDOM, FOR CRYING OUT LOUD.
Last two thoughts:
First, BE an ENCOURAGEMENT to your FRIENDS.
Leaving college is a hard transition to make, but it’s part of being an adult.
Write email, make calls, keep in touch, and
BLESS THESE SAINTS
that the Lord has put into your life.
That came from David.
The last thing was the realization that His Word is ultimately VERY alive.
I was thinking about how different it is every time I read it. And what other explanation could there be? If it’s always changing, it MUST be ALIVE!!!
1. This one isn’t very well structured yet. But I’ll write out the gist of it.
The world needs prayer like an engine needs oil- lots of it, flowing all the time, and of the correct grade.
We need to pray for people even when they haven’t asked us to. For example, Angela hasn’t given me any requests lately. Does that mean that I don’t need to pray for her? Certainly not.
I don’t have much trouble in this area- at least two of my friends will tell you about my prayer stuff.
I realize that not every person has the blessing (habit?) of easy and frequent prayer. Rest assured, different things come easy for different people.
But please- pray for all of your friends, and do it often. THEY NEED YOU.
2a. Here’s what I was getting at last night.
To protect the friendship from the forthcoming attack, I may have to play nice.
Maybe there won’t be an attack… that’s what I am praying for. Or against, depending on how you look at it. Intercede… that’s me.
To clarify, I am committed to surviving any battle that is coming my way. I had a good conversation with a trusted confidant on Friday. He agrees that doom is on the horizon. But I am going to work hard to prevent it. Pray hard. Try hard. And make sure that any rift is NOT caused by myself.
References
Rom 5:1-5, 1 Cor 13:13, Gal 5:5-6, Eph 4:2-5, 1 Thess 1:3, 5:8, Heb 6:10-12, 1 Pet 1:3-8
First, I don’t remember which of the above references, but Mark Wilson read a verse yesterday, and it really floored me. It said that my faith is more precious to God than pure gold!
Three questions were asked at the beginning of the lesson yesterday.
1. What reputation did you have in high school?
Well, I know, but I won’t write it here. Some wounds are too deep to invite others to jump into them.
2. What reputation did you have in college?
Hmmm…. Several words come to mind.
3. What would you LIKE people to think of you?
I’d like people to recognize that I am something greater than what meets the eye. That I seek the will of God, and do it. That, someday, I am going to conquer something. Something big. And everyone will look and say, “Wow… didn’t know Randy had that in him.” And the Lord will look at me and say, “Well done, my good and faithful servant.”
That’s what I want people to think of me- that, even though I’m not cool, the Lord is going to use me in a mighty way.
Now, notes on Colossians 1.
Verse 1 and 2- it’s the standard Paul greeting.
Verse 3- see the note #1 above- the world needs much prayer. All the time.
Verse 4- Word of mouth is a useful tool- the reputation of the church in Colosse had reached Paul by word of mouth.
It was stated that Hope is the most essential element in life.
And I think that’s true.
Quotes: “If you’re in a barber shop long enough, you’re gonna end up with a haircut.”
I like that one. If you put yourself in certain positions, you’re gonna follow through. This applies to so many different areas in life. Girls. If you go out with a poor choice of girlfriend, you’re just about dooming yourself to make poor choices with her. If you hang out with the wrong group of coworkers (Dynamic Aviation, anyone?) you’re gonna do the wrong things with them.
And no, enough of this mental question about “Maybe I need to expose myself to mistakes, maybe I need to learn some lessons the hard way.”
That’s pure, unadulterated bullcrap with a capital B!!!
The Lord gave us WISDOM so that we wouldn’t do stupid things. You know Wisdom, she’s the lady that’s standing on the roofs in the city calling out your name.
Not saying that you must shield yourself from all chances of messing up. But USE WISDOM, FOR CRYING OUT LOUD.
Last two thoughts:
First, BE an ENCOURAGEMENT to your FRIENDS.
Leaving college is a hard transition to make, but it’s part of being an adult.
Write email, make calls, keep in touch, and
BLESS THESE SAINTS
that the Lord has put into your life.
That came from David.
The last thing was the realization that His Word is ultimately VERY alive.
I was thinking about how different it is every time I read it. And what other explanation could there be? If it’s always changing, it MUST be ALIVE!!!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home