Sunday thoughts from a slow computer
"The infintesimal danger that any one of us might be killed in a terror attack--a danger much smaller than that of getting killed by crossing the street--is enough to send too many of us scurrying to toss liberty onto the bonfire in the vain hope that the sacrifice might make us safe."
-Jay Bookman
Here it is, another Sunday. More friends gone, more times over, less and less to smile about.
Wow, that was really gloomy.
Okay, I'll talk my way through that one. Several people left this week- Autumn, Junior, Demildt, and Captain Cook.
Went to Caleb Cook's going away party Friday night. That was fun, but really surreal. We three- me, Cook, and Demildt- were the original lab partners. Four years ago. And to sit around a table, with Caleb going to fly at ExpressJet, and Demildt going to do electronic junk with Rockwell, and me going who-knows-where... was really surreal.
We made plans to all get together periodically and hang out, and do some scuba diving and stuff.
But a lot of those kinds of plans never come to fruition, you know? "Oh yeah, we'll hang out all the time....." But we know how that ends up. It takes a lot of effort to bring two people together from corners of the nation. Houston? Iowa? Oh boy.
Anyhow, other stuff.
Lots to do.
But I read an article that I wanted to quote. Actually, I wanted to open with it, so I am going to put it up at the top of this.
It's in reference to the government taking tabs on ALL of our phone calls, and all of us dumb Americani saying, "No problem- it's to keep us safe!!!"
Idiots, we be.
Let's see, Sunday church thoughts...
Okay, left my bulletin/notes in my car.
But the first thought I had was in response to Pastor Tim saying, "Jesus wants us to MAKE A DIFFERENCE in the world."
Which I thought was ironic and stuff...
See, reading Ecclesiastes (the first half only- that could be PART of the problem) really just kinda... i dunno. He keeps saying over and over that doing anything is as pointless as chasing the wind.
And I got the attitude that nothing we do will ever matter. We CAN'T make a difference, I've thought.
But the truth is that we CAN. Just cause some depressed guy writes poetry and it gets into the Bible doesn't mean it should be taken out of context.
Anyhow.
I miss some people a whole lot. I mean, I'm fine and stuff. But man, after this week, CALVIN will be gone even, and he's like... the last mohican.
It's fixin' to be VERY lonely around here.
Well, I will do something else now.
-Jay Bookman
Here it is, another Sunday. More friends gone, more times over, less and less to smile about.
Wow, that was really gloomy.
Okay, I'll talk my way through that one. Several people left this week- Autumn, Junior, Demildt, and Captain Cook.
Went to Caleb Cook's going away party Friday night. That was fun, but really surreal. We three- me, Cook, and Demildt- were the original lab partners. Four years ago. And to sit around a table, with Caleb going to fly at ExpressJet, and Demildt going to do electronic junk with Rockwell, and me going who-knows-where... was really surreal.
We made plans to all get together periodically and hang out, and do some scuba diving and stuff.
But a lot of those kinds of plans never come to fruition, you know? "Oh yeah, we'll hang out all the time....." But we know how that ends up. It takes a lot of effort to bring two people together from corners of the nation. Houston? Iowa? Oh boy.
Anyhow, other stuff.
Lots to do.
But I read an article that I wanted to quote. Actually, I wanted to open with it, so I am going to put it up at the top of this.
It's in reference to the government taking tabs on ALL of our phone calls, and all of us dumb Americani saying, "No problem- it's to keep us safe!!!"
Idiots, we be.
Let's see, Sunday church thoughts...
Okay, left my bulletin/notes in my car.
But the first thought I had was in response to Pastor Tim saying, "Jesus wants us to MAKE A DIFFERENCE in the world."
Which I thought was ironic and stuff...
See, reading Ecclesiastes (the first half only- that could be PART of the problem) really just kinda... i dunno. He keeps saying over and over that doing anything is as pointless as chasing the wind.
And I got the attitude that nothing we do will ever matter. We CAN'T make a difference, I've thought.
But the truth is that we CAN. Just cause some depressed guy writes poetry and it gets into the Bible doesn't mean it should be taken out of context.
Anyhow.
I miss some people a whole lot. I mean, I'm fine and stuff. But man, after this week, CALVIN will be gone even, and he's like... the last mohican.
It's fixin' to be VERY lonely around here.
Well, I will do something else now.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home