Response to Angela.
Side note: I am listening to a song I shouldn't listen to... I know better... but I'm gonna do it anyway. More on this near the bottom.
Well, Mark is out playing basketball for Club... traitor.
Nah, just kidding.
Anyhoo, yeah... a best friend has to be someone that knows where I am coming from.
Take Benjamin for example. I struggle with things that he doesn't struggle with. But because he's a guy, he at least knows where I am coming from. He also struggles with things that I don't- but again, I know where he's coming from.
And a girl would simply never understand either of these issues. She can't empathize- she's (oddly, because girls are typically very very empathetic) not capable.
Enough of that.
You know, I really want my wife to be my best friend. But maybe I don't. No, I think I don't.
Boy, I have had a lot of thoughts about wives, children, family-making, family-keeping, and all that lately. Go figure. Maybe if I spent the thought effort on dynamics I would be doing better in that class.
It's spring, and I am dealing with the same thoughts, as of today in fact, that pop up every spring. I don't even know what causes it. It's random. I spend just a touch too much time (attention? thought?) on this one particular experience... and then I get kinda... wistful? That sounds like a feeling a girl has... hmm... okay, we'll go with synonyms: melancholy, pensive, thoughtful, regretful, and longing.
And then I put on this one particular CD, and dream away.
Dream of what was... a long time ago...
When things seemed like they really could be perfect, here on Earth.
When problems seemed like an aside.
When University was a suggestion, rather than an obligation.
When the future and the present were one and the same.
When all things seemed new and perfect, and no territory was unholy.
When new people were supportive, yet held me accountable.
When I was trusted with something of great importance and value.
But, for the first time in a handful of recent springs, I can think back on those days and not become gloomy. I can smile, thank God for the gift of that experience, pray for it, and then look to a future. A future I don't know. A future I don't have etched in stone.
There are two kinds of tomorrow- the one that happens 24 hours from now, and the one that never gets here. Don't ever think that you know what either will bring. Because you don't.
Well, Mark is out playing basketball for Club... traitor.
Nah, just kidding.
Anyhoo, yeah... a best friend has to be someone that knows where I am coming from.
Take Benjamin for example. I struggle with things that he doesn't struggle with. But because he's a guy, he at least knows where I am coming from. He also struggles with things that I don't- but again, I know where he's coming from.
And a girl would simply never understand either of these issues. She can't empathize- she's (oddly, because girls are typically very very empathetic) not capable.
Enough of that.
You know, I really want my wife to be my best friend. But maybe I don't. No, I think I don't.
Boy, I have had a lot of thoughts about wives, children, family-making, family-keeping, and all that lately. Go figure. Maybe if I spent the thought effort on dynamics I would be doing better in that class.
It's spring, and I am dealing with the same thoughts, as of today in fact, that pop up every spring. I don't even know what causes it. It's random. I spend just a touch too much time (attention? thought?) on this one particular experience... and then I get kinda... wistful? That sounds like a feeling a girl has... hmm... okay, we'll go with synonyms: melancholy, pensive, thoughtful, regretful, and longing.
And then I put on this one particular CD, and dream away.
Dream of what was... a long time ago...
When things seemed like they really could be perfect, here on Earth.
When problems seemed like an aside.
When University was a suggestion, rather than an obligation.
When the future and the present were one and the same.
When all things seemed new and perfect, and no territory was unholy.
When new people were supportive, yet held me accountable.
When I was trusted with something of great importance and value.
But, for the first time in a handful of recent springs, I can think back on those days and not become gloomy. I can smile, thank God for the gift of that experience, pray for it, and then look to a future. A future I don't know. A future I don't have etched in stone.
There are two kinds of tomorrow- the one that happens 24 hours from now, and the one that never gets here. Don't ever think that you know what either will bring. Because you don't.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home