Saturday, February 04, 2006

Death is an interesting thing. For a few months, it's been a stumbling block to my faith. It has little to do with Zack, but that certainly brought it to the forefront of thought.
I keep getting frustrated with the thought of life on Earth ending. It doesn't make sense. But while I was on the phone today, my mind was wandering... as it typically does. And I remembered, "OH! PEOPLE brought death into the world when we started sinning. It's not God's fault at all!" And it was like a real quick review of fundamental beliefs that I had neglected to allow to enter into my mental argument previously.
So that lead me to think about animals. Since death wasn't in the world way back then, clearly animals didn't die, either.
Since Alaska, I have been thinking about the differences between certain kinds of animals. Salmon don't care about you. Dogs love you, mostly. Cats... well, they're just instruments of the devil anyhow. But moos are special- they know not to trust you. Bears don't trust you either. And given the chance and the provocation, either of those beasts will gladly kill you.
It's as if they knew, instictively, that we messed up the world for them. And they want vengeance. "Kill the sinners, the destroyers of eden!" they cry.
Maybe I will write a children's story about it someday.

I'm not afraid of being dead, but I am afraid of dying.
It's not the idea of being dead that bothers me. Granted, it bothers me a little. I have no idea what heaven holds in store. Part of me still subscribes to the harp-strumming, cloud-floating concept. Another part of me holds on to the idea that there's a shiny 1967 Mustang convertible waiting for me. The majority of me views it as a restored Earth sort of scenario. I want to grow my own food, fix my own car, fly my own airplane. And I think all of these things are things God appreciates- He gave us a sense of creativity--why should we expect to stifle that in Heaven? BUT- the point of this paragraph is that because I don't know what awaits, I am a little nervous.
But it's not a big deal. What I am actually fearful of is the process of dying. Zack went through a bit of pain, I'd say. Lots and lots of people do. Car wrecks, terrorist acts, illness, long-term care requirements... sheesh.

Time to think about something else.

2 Comments:

Blogger Radar said...

when i think of heaven tonight, the word "boundless" comes to mind. there will be no more limits to our happiness, health, motion or pleasure. the ultimate pleasure is the presence of God. knowing Him is the fulfillment of our every desire, and though nothing compares to that experience, we'll still get to DO cool things with our bodies and minds. God made us with faculties that can do alot of things, and i believe he's still got plans for us to use our bodies in many new and extravagant ways. he wouldn't take away ways we can utilize our arms, legs and eyes; he wouldn't stifle us like that. For us to use our bodies in extraordinary ways would bring glory to Him.
death will undo the limits of a body conceived in sin (Psalm 51) and release us into a boundless paradise where we can do boundless things.

9:32 PM  
Blogger Samantha said...

*hugs you*

I don't know what to expect, but I'll readily admit that I don't know what it'll be like and that can be incredibly frightening.

12:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home