Friday, February 24, 2006

How Great, How GREAT... is our God.

"But still we praise our Savior,
In spirit and in truth.
For we cannot say enough...
about YOU!!!!!"

I am sitting here in the ROC on a Friday afternoon, and that song came on the CD player, and I am almost in tears over it.
Granted, I go to a heightened state of emotion way too frequently, but still.

I had some sort of dramatic realization about the scope of the existence of Christ.
And it's awesome. It's just awesome. He's so huge. I looked up and out the long hallway, and suddenly realized that everything I laid my eyes upon... was all about Him. We may have built things for us, or for others, but in the end, it's all about Him.

Someone came to chapel last year and said that we shouldn't use the word awesome so much. No one really got what he was getting at, but I did. When you overuse big words, they become cheap and insignificant. If making a god grade is 'awesome,' then how can the Lord be the same thing? But God REALLY IS AWESOME.

I made an error in judgment. But I'm glad it happened. I didn't change shirts before I came to the ROC. So I am wearing my Pennitentiary t-shirt. It's the name of our dorm floor, for those of you who don't know.
So this guy walks up and asks if I can make a pot of coffee. And I said yeah. And so he says, "Does your shirt say penitentiary?" And I said that yeah, it's my dormitory at LeTourneau.
And he said, "Oh. I spent 14 years in maximum security."
Not knowing how to respond, but not wanting to be unloving or uncaring, or just acting like it's cool or whatever, I said, "Oh yeah? Where?"
And he rattled off a list of places, including England, which he says was the worst.
So we talked about that a little bit.
He found Christ, got out, and is free again, I guess. Apparently, he's got anger problems, because he's supposed to be on medication for it. But he doesn't take the meds when he's drinking.
So he still gets into trouble. He said that God can change us, and I agreed. Then he said that we are still stubborn though. And I agreed. I picked up on it and said, "Yeah, you know, HE can do it, but still I keep trying to do it by myself every time." And he agreed. But the I pointed out that it's okay, because God is PATIENT..

Isn't it insane, that God loves me just as much as that ex-con? AND, he loves that ex-con just as much as he loves me.
Isn't God nuts? I mean, isn't He NUTS???

So here I sit, singing Hallelujah out loud, in public.
And I like it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home