Torn.
I am torn.
Torn between the old and the new.
I've got a couple of new friends. I enjoy spending time with them. They're fun. We talk about a lot of the same stuff. I have experience that they sometimes value. They have insight that I sometimes value, as well as a worldview that I am not used to. Still Christian, fear not. But a little different. Anyhow... they still joke around a bit, but it's generally fun. People make fun of me because I hang out with them so much, and am comfortable around them.
It's unusual- I feel more comfortable around these new guys that I have known for one semester than I do around friends I have lived with for five semesters.
Which leads me to the other thing I am torn by- old friends. I consider them friends, yet they're a little rough sometimes. Not in an inappropriate way, I didn't mean that, just in the way they talk down to me. I know they mean it in good humor. And I try to take it in good humor. But after a while, things get old.
The people I used to play favorites with... are no longer my favorites. And I have found that sometimes, the 'nicest' people aren't very nice. We're all guilty of that, I know. But still...
So the question I was faced with was do I make new alliances, forge new friendships, or do I return to the old ones, and hopes of life-long brotherhood?
The answer I came up with is that I don't have to choose. I can do both, or neither.
It's so odd... I prayed for someone to be friends with for life. Someone that I would call up on the telephone long after graduation. Someone who would call me back. Someone whose wedding I could attend, and have him be the best man in my own. Someone who would keep me accountable, without the rigidity of being an 'accountability partner.'
It ended up being different- not who I thought it was. But back to my immediate social group, it's interesting.
I know I seem fickle. I know it looks like I dumped my old favorites for new ones. And maybe I have. Except I know that I haven't.
So please don't judge me, whoever you are. Please don't think that I abandon friends. I am far more willing to be lifelong friends than just a temporary neighbor.
I still long for the reunion in Heaven. I hope we get to have one. I don't know what Heaven will be like. But I hope that when I get there, I can run into the arms of loved ones and friends, and that we can join hands in worship for eternity.
Goodnight.
Torn between the old and the new.
I've got a couple of new friends. I enjoy spending time with them. They're fun. We talk about a lot of the same stuff. I have experience that they sometimes value. They have insight that I sometimes value, as well as a worldview that I am not used to. Still Christian, fear not. But a little different. Anyhow... they still joke around a bit, but it's generally fun. People make fun of me because I hang out with them so much, and am comfortable around them.
It's unusual- I feel more comfortable around these new guys that I have known for one semester than I do around friends I have lived with for five semesters.
Which leads me to the other thing I am torn by- old friends. I consider them friends, yet they're a little rough sometimes. Not in an inappropriate way, I didn't mean that, just in the way they talk down to me. I know they mean it in good humor. And I try to take it in good humor. But after a while, things get old.
The people I used to play favorites with... are no longer my favorites. And I have found that sometimes, the 'nicest' people aren't very nice. We're all guilty of that, I know. But still...
So the question I was faced with was do I make new alliances, forge new friendships, or do I return to the old ones, and hopes of life-long brotherhood?
The answer I came up with is that I don't have to choose. I can do both, or neither.
It's so odd... I prayed for someone to be friends with for life. Someone that I would call up on the telephone long after graduation. Someone who would call me back. Someone whose wedding I could attend, and have him be the best man in my own. Someone who would keep me accountable, without the rigidity of being an 'accountability partner.'
It ended up being different- not who I thought it was. But back to my immediate social group, it's interesting.
I know I seem fickle. I know it looks like I dumped my old favorites for new ones. And maybe I have. Except I know that I haven't.
So please don't judge me, whoever you are. Please don't think that I abandon friends. I am far more willing to be lifelong friends than just a temporary neighbor.
I still long for the reunion in Heaven. I hope we get to have one. I don't know what Heaven will be like. But I hope that when I get there, I can run into the arms of loved ones and friends, and that we can join hands in worship for eternity.
Goodnight.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home