Sunday, April 10, 2005

What did I learn?

WOW- what a weekend.
I am going to devote THIS blog to what I learned in Discovery Groups. Maybe I'll make a future blog, maybe even today, on what I learned in Sunday School, and what I learned playing cricket last night.

Discovery Groups:
I learned that we college students have a misconception- in fact, the old people do NOT want to get up early for their service. EVERYBODY thinks that the other groups should take the early service slot.
I learned that we all have to be flexible.
I learned that really, the best solution would be for all of us to worship at one time.
I learned that we young'uns need the influence of the elderly more than some of us realize, and more than the rest of us are willing to admit.
I learned that the older folk's definition of worship and OUR definition of worship is basically identical. Both groups had previously assumed otherwise. We all kinda got quiet for a sec and then one person said, "Oh. Well, I guess.. the only difference we really have is music."
AND, I learned that our differences in music aren't that big. They like some of our stuff, and I like some of their stuff.

I was able to correct some of the misconceptions that the elders had. That was great.
I was able to inform them that, in fact, I like having a choir, and I like singing hymns. They assume we don't like that, and don't want any of it. And WE assumed that they didn't want any electric guitars and things. That's not necessarily true.

NEVER before had I ever seen Baptists being so open minded. It was very humbling.

I feel so honored to have been allowed to participate in the decision as to the direction of the church.

I was also convicted of having my head in the wrong place. I saw myself judging one particular person, and have asked God's help in correcting that.
How much more honor is there in giving a ride to a woman that most people wouldn't let near their car? How much more honor for me to take that woman home, even though all of my friends would laugh, and make fun. I know what they'd say. They'd say, "Wow, you finally found a girl, Randy!" Let them. It's God's car. May I use it for God's purpose.
But now I need to LIVE that way. Rather than just REALIZE it's better to do these things than to not do them, I have to actually DO these things I realize! It doesn't really matter what you THINK; it's what you DO. I can think all the greatest things in the world. But if I sit and don't act on those thoughts, it doesn't make one iota of difference in this world.

GOD HELP ME TO BE A MAN AFTER YOUR OWN HEART!

1 Comments:

Blogger tank said...

God's car...I like that. I wonder if God wants the Pimp Ride...not that it's not already His or anything.

4:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home